Letní škola 2018
Development Along the New Silk Road: Asian and CEE Relations International Summer School
Faculty of International Relations and The Center for Asian Studies (CAS) of the University of Economics in Prague are pleased to announce that the registration to the second annual summer school titled “Development Along the New Silk Road: Asian and CEE Relations” is currently open for submission.
About the summer school
In 2013, Chinese president Xi Jinping proposed the New Silk Road initiative to promote a closer connection between Asia and Europe. Given its geographical location, the Central and Eastern European Countries (CEECs) play an important role in the initiative. Since 2013, the economic, political and cultural cooperation between China and the CEECs has greatly increased. The programme offers a unique opportunity for students to fully utilize the potential of the One Belt One Road (OBOR) initiative and learn more about economic and political relations between the two regions, economic transformation in the CEE region as well as its business specifics and investment environment. It is aimed at enhancing academic, business and international relations competency of the participants with many stimuli (such as discussion with leading academics, experts and practitioners, as well as people to people exchange, field trips and sightseeing both in Prague and in the Czech Republic) for their further personal development.
Dates and venue
The summer school takes place at the University of Economics in Prague, Czech Republic from June 18 – 29, 2018 (participants may arrive on June 16 and leave on July 1, 2018).
The summer school is primarily open for master and doctoral degree students in the field of economics, business and/or international relations or young professionals at the start of their careers from all over the world. Outstanding undergraduate students in advanced years of their study are also encouraged to apply for the program. Students from other fields of their studies with a strong interest in the OBOR, CEECs and/or Asian countries are welcomed to apply as well.
The lecturing language is English – at least B2 proficiency is required.
The maximum capacity per study group is 25 students (Chinese groups with over ten students from one institution may bring one accompanying person free of charge).
For those who apply before 28 February 2018, and are accepted, the early registration fee of EUR 1850 is applicable. For students from partner universities of the University of Economics, the fee is automatically reduced to EUR 1750.
|Submitting dates for application||Fee||Price for students from partner universities*|
|Early registration before 28 February 2018||EUR 1850||EUR 1750|
|1 March 2018 – 25 March 2018||EUR 1950||EUR 1850|
List of partner Universities: http://ozs.vse.cz/english/about-isc/partner-universities/
Late applications after 25 March 2018 may be considered upon the residual availability of places.
|Course||Estimated No. of Lessons(Lesson = 90 Mins)|
|Central and Eastern European Countries and Asia Relations||16|
|– International relations as a field of study, theories||2|
|– Current trend and development in international relations between world regions||4|
|– The New Silk Road Initiative and its perceptions in CEE and the world||5|
|– Evolution of CEE and Asian relations: e.g. The case of 16+1 framework||5|
|Central and Eastern European countries in the world economy||16|
|– Main regions of the world economy and recent developments||3|
|– Transformation from CPE to ME in the CEE region||3|
|– Economic development in the CEE region||5|
|– Trade and investment relations between CEE and selected Asian economies||5|
|Field trips (e.g. ŠKODA car producer), extracurricular and social activities|
The courses are taught by leading academics from the Czech Republic (e.g. Mr. Jeremy Alan Garlick and Ondrej Sankot from the University of Economics, Mr. Rudolf Furst, a senior researcher, the Institute of International Relations) together with distinguished experts and practitioners (politicians, diplomats, businessmen) who will all share their knowledge and experience as guest lecturers (e. g. Mr. Jan Kohout, the president of the New Silk Road Institute Prague and former Czech Minister of Foreign Affairs; Mr. Jan Hebnar, a former diplomat in China, Sinovia.cz).
The application is submitted by sending the following requested documents to: email@example.com
- Application form (Application-Form)
- Motivation letter in English (maximum 2 pages/3600 symbols including spaces)
- CV in English
The application will be open from 15 January and closed on 25 March 2018. The acceptance notification will be sent on 2 April 2018. Participants are expected to pay the school fee within two weeks after their admission is confirmed. The enrolment at the summer school is guaranteed only once the payment is received by the University of Economics in Prague – the latest 16 April 2018. All necessary visa documents and materials are sent upon receiving the payment.
The University of Economics in Prague reserves all rights to make minor changes in the program and/or cancel the Summer School in case the minimum of 15 participants is not reached by end of March 2018.
The total fee includes:
- Course fee
- Course materials
- Accommodation in dormitory hotel rooms
- Transportation to/from the airport
- Field trips – transportation, entrance fee and lunch
- Lunches at the university canteen and coffee breaks (during lecturing days 18 – 29 June 2018)
- Selected social activities (welcome and farewell dinner/party)
- Summer school certificate and transcript
- Public transportation pass for the whole period of your stay in Prague
Participants will be accommodated in the students’ dormitory of the University of Economics, Prague, in shared two-bed rooms equipped with a kitchen unit, a bathroom and free wi-fi. The dormitory is located in a safe area in a proximity to the University of Economics (easily accessible by tram in approx. 10 minutes).
Why apply to our summer school?
- You will have a unique opportunity to learn more about Asia and CEE economic and political relations from leading scholars and experts.
- You will have a unique opportunity to gain new skills, knowledge and experience that will help you in your career.
- Upon successful completion, you will receive a transcript stating the amount of credits obtained during the summer school and you will be given a summer school certificate issued by the University of Economics in Prague.
- You will have a unique opportunity to explore the magic of Prague and the Czech Republic, known for its beauty, long history, unforgettable atmosphere and plenty never ending leisure activities being it during the day or night, as well as in the city or countryside.
- You will have a unique opportunity to meet new friends from various countries.
- Our team is preparing plenty extra-curricular activities for you to participate in, so you will never be bored!
- And much more…
For more information about the summer school, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.